- 2014 Traffic Costs Industry $49.6 Billion. US highway traffic congestion added billions of dollars in operational costs for the trucking industry. More than a dozen states experienced congestion costs of more than $1 billion. 89% of the congestion happened on 12% of roads. The ATRI’s analysis showed that trucks were delayed more than 728 million hours.
- 7 in 10 to Accelerate Warehouse Technology. More than 40% of IT and operations decision makers cite shorter delivery time as a key measure to wanting warehouse technology. By 2020, respondents plan to make investments in increasing the volume of items shipped (76%), equipping staff with technology (73%), and Internet of Things (62%). (Read why warehouse technology is the first step to fast shipping here.)
- Climate Change and Transportation. Datamyne is encouraging logistics managers to consider the effects of climate change as rising temperatures change products and shift import-export volumes. (Find out more about potential climate change disruptions here.)
- FDA Issues Rule to Prevent Food Spoilage. The rule on Sanitary Transportation of Human and Animal Food is final, advancing efforts to protect foods by keeping them safe from contamination during transportation. The goal of the rule is to stop practices during transportation that create food safety risks.
- How the ELD Mandate Challenges Truck Leasing and Rentals. The FMCSA stated it doesn’t regulate truck leasing and rental businesses, but drivers will still be obligated to use ELDs to record their HOS if they fall under the purview of the agency’s final rule. (Learn how the ELD mandate will benefit shippers by reading this.)