There are an array of challenges when it comes to successfully applying an outsourced transportation management strategy. Companies want to make freight moves as efficient as possible, which means centralized systems, qualified carriers, managed schedules and visibility. Realizing opportunities for transportation efficiency starts with identifying challenges. Below, we examine different challenges from 3 companies and how PLS solutions created and maintain notable results.
- Decentralized transportation across multiple plants and DCs.
- Unmanaged truck movement and scheduling.
- Excessive use of expedited shipping.
- Sub-optimal carrier use.
- Integrate systems and apply web-based dock scheduling.
- Tactical execution and control of carriers.
- KPIs defined and measured. Reports generated monthly to track lane analysis, performance, volume trends, costs and trends.
- Manage emergency shipment requirements.
- Maintained on-time delivery above 95%.
- Automated shipment status notifications, gained visibility for effective freight management.
- Increased capacity to support shipment surges by adding carrier and modes.
- Eliminated need for unnecessary expedited transport.
Consumer Goods Manufacturer
- Not carrier-friendly facilities.
- Acquired additional costs at delivery.
- Missed pick-ups and scheduling conflicts.
- Poor LTL freight management.
- No visibility into shipment status.
- Manage LTL freight moves (from shipment tendering to delivery notification).
- Incorporate centralized TMS and EDI systems.
- Generate monthly reports based on company KPIs.
- Continue analysis for shipment consolidation, new DC locations, and supply chain enhancements.
- Improved pick-up and delivery times due to centralized technology and visibility.
- Automated BOL and load tendering.
- Reduced fines and chargebacks from improved freight management and carrier performance.
- Streamlined billing and invoicing.
- Discovered significant cost savings on LTL freight.
- Unmanaged logistics process.
- Manual transportation management.
- No time to manage moves outside core inbound and outbound needs.
- Missed deadlines.
- Integrate PO verification
- Create dedicated account management team for inbound, MRO and outbound moves.
- Optimize different modes.
- Gain control and visibility through TMS.
- Buyers gained time to concentrate on negotiation costs.
- Increased visibility to automate rules, schedule loading times and track shipments.
Transportation solutions are often applied after data analysis. Click here to download Powerful Reporting Improves Insight. This ebook illustrates examples of PLS’ standard and customized reports, outlines the importance of big data in the supply chain industry and how explains how shippers can leverage the information to enhance operations.